Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Emerging Butterfly

It's time for my kids.

Lately it has been time for things other than my kids. Now it's time for them. People say I am a busy girl.. "when do I sleep?" I take that to offense. Not literally, but personally. It is meant as a compliment, but when is being busy busy and not having that busy be inclusive of your kids something admirable? I have discussed this with several of late, so sorry if it is repetitious, but the girls we should be the most wishing to be like are the girls that lay down on the floor, pull out a board game, walk to the park, and play ball and make believe with their kids for most of their time. Of course I am not saying don't have hobbies, so don't take me to extreme. I just think a lot of times we, me included, feel inferior to those that do so much while in the mean time neglect their kids consistently. I always try to do homework and picture edits while my kids are asleep, but let's be frank, a lot of times, they are running a muckus in the house, watching movies, and eating crap so I can accomplish what I need in time. NOT COOL. A stay at home mom, to me, from now on, is striving to do more than just being at home with my kids-physically. It is more interacting, playing, activities and education. I am going to do better to make being a stay at home mom benefit them more, and my husband, and not benefit all MY to-do's. My to-do's should more often than not be directed around their activities instead of vice versa. Kids need mom's who are attentive and caring and listen. Not mom's who are working to be so successful in whatever they are doing that they don't have the capacity for the little things. I am not taking on so much, been there done that. My kids are little for too little. And I suggest we all do the same.

Stop feeling inferior to the wrong people.

So here is to a summer of kids, Lagoon, parks, vacations, and floor time.

Here is to a new mom who learned through stress that making people feel inferior with "how great you are" means also making your kids feel inferior.

... Now that I have time on my hands, get ready for some insight, right?.. or controversy...or offense.. all of which I can be charged as guilty.


Piper, dressed herself, and posed herself. This is a portrait of her in every sense, if you ask me.










Always looking to see what Piper is up to. Meanwhile I am praying he doesn't pick up on half the stuff she is doing.

9 comments:

kimberly said...

oh toni..what i love about you is you can do it all. even though you get busy at times i don't think for one minute you are being an inadequate mom. your kids are clean, very well fed, well adjusted, loved, and along for the ride. they will love and admire all you take on and appreciate the knowledge that you ultimately know what is important. i love these thoughts..you are very right about thinking twice about who you admire.

p.s. i'll always admire you :)

Sharstin said...

So true my friend! I think we as moms do get caught up in everything that is going on--and trying to get all of our own stuff done--when that can wait--and our kids are our number 1 priority. They are only little once, and for such a short while--we have to treasure every moment--thanks for this post--

Alice said...

Your kiddos are so cute and lucky to have you.

cindave said...

i am so with you on the things you said. that's a battle i seem to fight with myself every day. i feel like such a loser mom when the day passes and andersen has done little more than watch a movie. i'm so looking forward to another lagoon summer, because quite frankly, it makes me feel like a better mom to be able to take him there. we will for sure have to go together. and the pictures are SO CUTE. your kids are gorgeous!

Danelle and Alex said...

I think that picture of pipe is hilarious! Such a cute girl.
Also I loved how you said there is a difference between a stay at home mom and being at home. You are such a good example and I am glad you pointed this out before I let my life get too busy since I am just starting out. Now I can decided if those things are really that important and focus on being a "stay at home mom". You are awesome thanks!

Danelle and Alex said...

I didn't mean to say that I think you have been neglecting your kids because I know you are a very good mom! I just like what you said, :)

~adelle said...

thanks for the insight. :)

People are always asking what else I do besides take care of my kids. It is like, hey, does there have to be anything else? The trick is making the very best out of being home. Really get down and play like you said. That is what the little ones really remember.

Have fun being a mom!

Kara said...

I have been struggling with this one lately. I want to be like I was when I was six and could play for hours! You have to just make it a priority to play with them first and other stuff second!

Becky said...

Love your thoughts, Toni! Word to all those mothers out there...especially the Mormon mommies. So often we compare ourselves to one another, our weaknesses to another's strengths. Enjoy the journey. Work hard in whatever capacity you have been given but please don't get down on yourself. As long as each of us have the eternal goal in sight, we can do the moment, the day, the week and clear on into eternity. I believe I have grasped onto this concept firmer than ever before as a single mother. I am learning more about me than ever before while my joys in this life are seeing my children happy and succeed. I LOVE being called "Mom". Learn from a single mom without having to be one. Invest in yourself, so you CAN invest in others and don't EVER worry about what people think of you. You're doing great! I love having Piper in my Sunbeams!