Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Good Better Best

Just real fast, both babies are asleep so I want to NOT be on this thing I want to be sipping my fountain Diet Coke and watching the Bachelor with my feet up... So just a thought:

I saw Sarah Jessica Parker on a show and she said regarding parenting and living in general, "As long as you are doing the best you can, that is all you can do." Ok not to pick on the actress, because everyone says that: Just do the best you can.
I have been thinking about it and I don't agree with that term. I can be the best mother and wife and athlete I can be, sure that is easy, it's like a cop out. Just do what you can and that is considered your best. But what about always striving to be better??? I can walk around doing my duties to my basic ability that is my best, but I can be better. We can ALWAYS be better. So I choose not to settle with doing the best I can. I choose to work on being better. Yeah so what if I didn't snap at Piper once today, good for me, but what else can I do better? What if I rode up Farmington Canyon? I didn't go the whole way... I could have been faster. So I sent my husband a loving message and thanked him for something, what ELSE can I do? So you're making good money, can you make more? If we aren't striving to do better we are standing still.
Not to say we should we run around with our heads cut off trying to do everything under the moon, but doing our best is sort of an excuse to me. I want to be consistently raising the bar on what my best is and never lose sight of how I could be better.

3 comments:

aLeXis said...

I think that saying is more about not comparing yourself to others. Do the best that YOU can do. That is all we can do if you consider it in that way. I can't keep my house immaculate, play with my kids, finish school, have time with my husband, hang out with my girls, and be happy every moment. That isn't me. I can't do it. There is probably someone out there that can, and props to them. I think you have to choose the things that you are ABLE to do, and prioritize. That said I agree with you on always striving to be better, but isn't that also considered doing your best. If you strive to clean your house everyday, and one day you jsut don't have time. You still did your best. Anyway...that is just me rambling. I think you put too much pressure on yourself lady. So coming from your bestest friend (like how I nicknamed myself that) RELAX! You are a terrific mom, wife, friend, athlete, maid, and any other title you place on yourself. So strive to be better, but realize that you are already awesome at everything you do. Lots of love!!!

Stephanie said...

I'm in agreeance with "felix" you are always doing your best. And I think you probably do put too much pressure on your self. Sometimes when I'm constantly trying to be better, I just stress myself out so much and I miss out on fun things with my kids or just simple things that make being alive great. I think you are an amazing person, and I think it's awesome that you are so driven to be better. Kris should thank you cause you inspire me to get off my lazy ass and do more!=)

Lindsey Rose said...

Amen to what Lex said. We are really all just trying to do our best. I have a friend who constantly compares herself to me, and when I am doing something she isn't she really puts me down for it. Not in a mean way, but in a way that she is saying I can't do that right now so neither should you. It is frustrating to me, becuase she is a great person and her best is totally different than my best. I could spend all day looking at what others are doing, but what good would that do? I do agree with you though that if we are not striving to be better, then we start to fall behind. Every day is a new adventure and if I just choose one thing to do better on, I think that is good enough. You are a great mom and a great friend! I love ya!