Well I can warn you right now this isn't going to be a cherry coated post. And why I feel inclined to blog and let strangers and lots of people read it-I don't know.. or maybe no one will see it at all, let's not flatter myself with the thought that many people care what I have to say at all. Doesn't matter. But it seems blogs are either outlets or a platform in which one uses to brag, consider mine today, just for today- the outlet.
I know as a mom you aren't supposed to need anything from anyone. At least that is what I learned from example. My mom never needed or needs anything from anyone. Mom's are callused and invisible. I am callused. I am invisible. It's the life I chose, for sure. But it doesn't always feel great. You know logically each time you have another kid that it's going to mean more work and less time for yourself. But you can do it, you have done it the prior times and been fine. It's worth it. Except when it feels like it's not. Which it sometimes feels that way. It sometimes feels like a piece of you gets lost a little more each day. Everyone once in a while when I have a moment of peace and quiet and hear a song, or smell the smell of summer or the sound of crickets on a summer night I get a flashback of who I am, or who I once was. Who am I now-I couldn't even tell you half the time. The answer to that question most days is mom. I am a mom. What else do you need to know?
Well for a person who has always felt the need to define myself, to spend time alone, to have privacy, to express myself through hobbies, or activities I need to know more.
Some days I can do everyone's dishes, wipe up pee, referee constant fighting, clean up meal after meal, and go through the day with a half a shower, a half a second to get ready and a millisecond to paint my nails only to not have time for them to dry and thus they are only smeared. But do I have time to take off the nail polish? Are you kidding. Some days I can do this, happily, gratefully. I have a family, that is awesome. I get to stay at home and raise my kids myself. Most days I do this happily. But some days I don't. Some days I want to be more than a mother and a maid. Days where I want to be treated other than this mother and a maid and this invisible person with super powers that enable her to be callused with the thought that all I am good for is picking up after other human beings, that these other human beings are above doing it themselves. My arms are only for holding babies and laundry. Not holding cameras or new clothes on hangers in Nordstroms. My hands are for changing bums, wiping noses, and disinfecting floors. They aren't hands with painted nails that get the chance to touch my loverboy uninterrupted. My boobs, well they are used for things they used to not be used for too.
Anyways being a mom is a tricky thing. It's a roller coaster day by day. We turn into this closet-like thing that people of all sizes can just reach into our shelves and take what they need. They only refill our shelves when they are empty.
I actually know why I feel inclined to share my thoughts with no privacy. I believe in being real. In being honest. This is who I am. It's not always good and I know people snicker at things I say and do. My bluntness. I know mostly moms read this, my dear friends who mean the world to me. Even though we like to put on a happy face of perfection at times, I think and hope there are times even the most positive of you with the best attitude have these days. Or weeks. Or months. Especially after having babies. Which many of you are doing or going through. We need to band together. Help each other instead of compete with each other. Say the things we are ashamed to feel or think. Afraid we will be judged or looked down on, or our husbands will be mad or offended. So..amidst all the judgment and offense I am sure is abundant in this entry-maybe it offered something someone needed. And if not-at least I feel better! Which means more energy to put my arms to work holding a baby and get my hands busy disinfecting those floors.
And here are some pictures.
Here is Piper, don't her eyes just scream "I LOVE YOU MOM"
In this one she is saying, "When I get home I am going to go into your makeup box and destroy all your expensive makeup. That will show you."
At least we can smile nice for the camera.
Ah Peanut. I love you. I heart you. Please stay sweet.

And thanks to all the swing advisers. I bought one and I am pretty sure heaven sent it down in an Amazon box. She loves it. 
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
I. Don't. Know. A. Good. Title.
Posted by Toni at 6:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
All three of your babies hit the mommy gene somewhere hidden deep inside me. Someday I want my hands to be callused with love of motherhood. Good luck. Your babies are so amazingly GOOD babies. You are doing something totally and completely right for them. Good luck! They do love you completely and totally!
You get no judgement from me. Only a sympathetic and understanding nod. Seriously, I have so many days like this. SO MANY. I feel like if I clean the kitchen one more time only to have it destroyed 14 seconds later as another mealtime rolls around...I get it. As we speak, I have a load of laundry that has been in the dryer for like 3 days, with another load behind it in the washer that will have to be washed again because i'm sure it's all mildewy now. I have a 14 month old reaching as I type, and I sit here all sweaty and unshowered. Also, toys and dishes covering every square foot of my house. I get it. What can I do for you? I mean that very sincerely. Treat delivery? Someone to run away with for an afternoon? What?
Oh. MY. I needed this post today. Thank you! I think I just had a conversation earlier this morning that went something like..."Av, pick up your toys" (which was only like the 5th time I had asked)....to which she replied "no, Mom...you do it!" and then I proceeded to explain to her that I was not in fact the slave of the household....and blah, blah, blah.
Anyway...why does it help to know someone else feels the way you do or goes through similar things. I LOVE YOU and I seriously am so GRATEFUL to be your best friend. :)
I love that we know what the other one is going through and so many times it is the same thing....and that we KNEW each other before becoming wives and mommies. We actually know the REAL person....not the one covered in drool and snot up to their arms in dirty dishes. So whenever you or I can't remember and start to forget the person we really are....all it takes is a phone call or a night out (which BTW- we need to do SOON).
LOVE YOU LADY! Oh, and I have yet to shower today as well. Too busy cleaning and breaking up the fighting. :) Good times.
Did you write this today cause you hung out with me last night and were sick of my complaining and it got to ya...ha ha! I am SO glad you are honest about this hard mom stuff. I really appreciate you being real. You know me, I am one that likes my own space sometimes and is not the most social person, but it's great to get to know people like you as a friend that I know feel the same and are honest about it....I love you!
And...today has been one of those hard days for me. I have a sink full of dirty dishes, a super messy house and a bathroom that needs to be cleaned desperetaly! And I don't want to bend over one more time today to wipe/pick something up from the ground with this ever expanding belly of mine! A major "feel bad for monica day" today. Can I just have some hangers in my hand from Nordy's too?! So...thanks for the post. Doesn't being a mom teach you SO much...sometimes I hate it..ha ha!
Thanks again...your the best!
wow, today, ok lets be honest, most days I need to hear that. I just got done cleaning the whole kitchen, scrubbed the floor and Joe had lunch and left all of his stuff out. That just screams "I don't respect you". They don't see it quite like that. Thanks for the bluntness. I'd rather read a blog about real problems and real happiness then one full of skinny moms, with perfect houses, closets full of new clothes, new cars, that have time to work out and eat right. all the things I seem to struggle with.
It's crazy how different your perception of others and reality can be so different. To me, you are an example of a mother who has it all together, all the time. I am ALWAYS in disarray to the point that I think I'm just used to it. LOL I just want you to know that you inspire me all the time to try to be better. I need people like you around me. You NEED to keep yourself intact. Make time just for you, everyday. You're so special, it would be such a waste if "Toni" disappeared. Your kids will gain so much from the example that you are. Tell Jake that you HAVE to have an hour or two every night for what YOU want to do(no cleaning ;)). I love ya. Your happiness is not selfish. Make time to be you!
Oh you're cute and you make us all feel better. Sometimes we look at people (i.e. you) and everything seems so perfect so it's nice to know we're not alone eh? We all have ruts or weak moments, but those dang kids can push us through. You are a super mom girl!
I love reading your blog because you are honest. It makes me laugh. Hope you don't mind that I stop by! :)
I just posted about this same thing a week or so ago. It must be in the air right now! I just started feeling lost. I don't want to disappear either. It is weird when the only definition of yourself is "mom." I keep reminding myself that this phase doesn't last forever. It is finding a balance that is tricky. And to be honest sometimes I laugh that when I want to do something on my own I have to ask my husband to "babysit" our kids. What is up with that? :) He is usually happy to do it at least. It just takes asking.
Ha! Sometimes I lock myself out on my deck to talk on the phone so I don't have to listen to whines and cry's...
And really, having a newborn and not getting a ton of sleep does something to your state of mind.
I guess we can all take comfort in the fact that other people feel the same way! Misery loves company right? Actually, I guess it is more like we have a band of mommies out there who are willing to drop their dishes and diapers and burp rags to rise up and cheer each other on! It is like a club.
You are darling and your kids are adorable, and I hope today is one of those days that just runs smoothly.
Take a look in the mirror. You are still there. I promise.
(wow. i talk a lot)
I feel so bad you are having such a rough time. I know how you feel sometimes though. (Probably scale that down by a third though because you have triple the responsibility of me.) But some days I think that this day was just like yesterday and tomorrow will be the same thing. Feed clean clean clean clean work, not shower work. Haha! Its so dorky but I have like one T.V. show a week to look forward to because its something different than the everyday drive. Except I'm usually folding laundry while I watch T.V. haha!! You are an amazing Mom and you really do make us all think you have it all together because you do such a great job!
Ah, the joys of motherhood... I just stumbled upon your blog(sorry to snoop), but this post rocked! and I had to leave you a comment. Haven't seen you in years- literally, and I'm so glad to see all is well with you and your cute little family. Your kids are beautiful!
The third can kinda be a kick in the pants. You feel like you run your butt off all day and accomplish nothing. The thing I am realizing is it goes SO quick, so I try to remind myself to just enjoy these little ones, because one day I am going to miss tripping on their toys, and wiping their butts(okay, maybe not) but at least I will know I enjoyed "this stage" (some times) you get the idea... thanks for the comfort of knowing we're not alone! You are a doll.
oh my real toni. i love you. i think summer has done it to me too. i heard a "summer" song the other day and started reminiscing about my easy selfish youth. i tried remembering that young me. it's like we spend 20 or more years just being us and then suddenly it's just not about us anymore. i keep telling myself it is a very important lesson in life i need to learn..sometimes that gets me through the hard days. i'm just being refined. and..though these are hard days FOR SURE..they will pass and i'm sure i'll miss them.
i love how lex said we knew each other before we were moms so that's where we can find ourselves again (as my baby starts crying:)
how do people let themselves lose touch with friends ????? thank you :)
Amen! Mommydom is definitely the least glamorous business in town (I type these words whilst wearing a shirt with a HUGE barf streak on the front).
When I first became a mom...awful...that's all I can say. I felt so sad all the time. I didn't want to give up "me". Especially when the exchange was made for piles of poopy diapers and a screaming lil' fellow who couldn't even tell me what he wanted from me. Then came the gulity feelings about wishing that I could go back to just taking care of myself. A dark cycle was born. Luckily, those storm clouds eventually lifted (6 months later) and I realized that being a mom is incredible and worth the piles of poop and the screaming.
That realization has really helped me this second time around. I know that the screaming will stop and that the poop will wash off of my favorite shirt (mostly). I know that the hubs will take the kids off my hands when he walks in the door so that I can detox a bit. Hallelujah for that man and for knowledge gained through trial and error.
Here's to hoping for more good days than bad!
This post made me cry. We all feel that way and I feel that way a lot! And I wish i had time to write this comment and tell you exactly waht i feel back, but I dont because the kids are needing my attention, so i will just say this. I love you and I am so glad that we are friends. It is so fun to be moms together, and experience this time of our lives knowing we only get it once. You are real and you will always be Toni, even if you are a mom too!
wow... definitely all in the same boat! so good to know there's other out there feeling, thinking and wanting the same things!
It is so important to not forget the you in yourself... though at times impossible is an understatement in maintaining YOU.
And lets face it, the more kids you have, the more YOU get pushed to the sidelines and take the backseat... but hey, all in the name of love right?!!?
I love my friends!!!!
Toni, go to my blog where I have out a youtube lin about mothers by Jeffrey R holland. It isa incredible, and get a tissue before you do!
Post a Comment